COMPLETE BODY STRETCHING EXERCISE : DHANURASANA
Dhanurasana is a Sanskrit word.It contain two words dhanu and asana.dhanu means dhanush or bow,and asana means yoga pose.thus the name is given bow pose.actually it totally resembles like a bovine its final position.
It is really impressive pose as in this pose both upper and lower part of the body means both halves of the body raises at the same time.
The abdomen and thigh appears as the wooden part of the bow and on the other hand legs lower part and arms resembles as the bowstring.
This asana combines the two asans-:bhujangasana and salabhasana.
The bow gives full backward bending to the whole spine and muscles of back,from neck to lower back.
Steps of Dhanurasana-:
- Lying down to your belly first.
- Put your hands on both the sides and your torso and palms facing upward
- Make a small distance between both the legs and get relax.
- Now exhale and bend your both knees and bring your heels close to your buttocks as possible
- Now slowly fold the knee up and hold your ankle with your hands
- Slowly raise your chin and then bend your head and neck backward
- Inhale slowly and pull your legs up
- Keep raising your head,neck,chin,chest,thighs and knees backward in such a way that only naval region touches the ground.
- Hold the breath and maintain the posture as u can
- Try to remain in this position for 20 to 30 second.if it is difficult to maintain this posture up to 30 second then do it as long as you can,and slowly increase your stamina.
- Now after holding this posture return to normal position slowly,lying quietly for a few breaths
Benefits of Dhanurasana-:
- Stress and fatigue buster
- Tones arms and leg muscle
- Help in weight loss
- Helpful in overcoming lethargy
- It massage liver and kidney
- Control diabetes
- flush the blood to the entire body parts thus it works as cleaning process
- Strengthens the spinal cord
- Improves respiratory system and cures asthma
- Massage thyroid and adrenal glands
- Cures back pain
- Gives strength to the shoulders
- Works as a sexual vigor for a person
- It sets the dislocated navel region
- Treat slipped discs
- It makes kidney healthy.
Contraindication and precautions-:
People suffering from following problems should consult their docter before performing this asana-
- People heaving Heart problem should avoid this asan
- High blood pressure patient should avoid this
- Peptic ulcer
- Abdominal surgery
- Do not perform it immediately after meal
- Those who have Chronic back pain do not practice this pose
- Avoid during pregnancy
- Should be avoided by those who have neck injury