Hair is the most precious part of our external appearance. The polluted environment around us always takes a toll on our hair. Summers are an added torture to the already existing challenging conditions. Summer means more sweat and more sweat attracts more dirt. Direct exposure to sun rays and heat also has a detrimental effect on hair and scalp. Thus, based on the advice of hair experts, some most effective tips are compiled below to help you protect your hair in summer:
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo. The idea is to basically keep the hair clean at all times. If need be to wash it daily. If you do not sweat much and stay in a comparatively low pollution zone, then wash every alternate day.
- Limit the use of hair tools that use heat for styling. Instead, opt for natural styling like traditional manual curlers. Using additional heat on your hair in summers will make your hair strands extremely prone to breakage.
- Use a cooling conditioner after washing your hair. You can opt for mint based ones that will help.
- Use natural hair packs. Apply henna to your hair once a month. Henna acts as a food for your hair and at the same time protects your hair from further damage. You can also apply aloe vera flesh directly on your hair and wash it off after twenty minutes. Aloe Vera is a natural conditioner for your hair.
- Leave your hair open if your hair is sweaty for a long time. Let your hair dry before tying it up again. Compressed heat within the scalp will cause the hair follicles to become weak. Thus opt for hairstyles that allow the air to pass between your hair and scalp.
- Use caps and cotton clothes to cover your hair while going out in the scorching sun. Sun damage is a huge no-no for your hair. Sunlight and heat will literally roast your hair into crisp strands which will be prone to damage.
- Use apple cider vinegar to wash your hair after shampooing. This will add a natural sheen and keep your hair frizz free for a longer time.
- Do not brush your hair with fine-toothed comb always. Use wide tooth comb when hair is wet or sweaty. This will minimize breakage and damage.
- Use as many natural products on your hair and scalp as possible. Parabens and Sulphate infused products add to the misery of hair problems in summer. Traditional hacks work best. Go back to your grandmother’s recipe and see the difference.
- Tie your hair in a neat braid at night, before sleep, if you have medium to long hair. This will reduce breakage from friction and prepare your hair for facing the day’s damage.
Hair care is not as difficult as it sounds. You just have to be careful to pick up the right products. Drink plenty of water through the summer season. No matter how expensive products you use externally, if you are not hydrated from inside, then you cannot protect your mane.
Bonus Tip: If your hair turns oily in the middle of the day and you have an important meeting to go to… Just smear some compact powder or talcum powder on your scalp. Dab over the visible scalp. Dust off the excess and see immediate matt effect.